Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: Thank you Don9704
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm 

I just want to share to everyone my experience with Don9704 on latest transaction between us
I agreed to buy his old Legacy Marquis - this monster is weight 60+ lbs
Don built a nice wooden box and it seems ok when delivered - But the speaker gut was fall apart, grill broken. 2 magnets fall off and damage 2 crossover board. Cost me $200 USD to ship but we couldn't ask insured.
Anyway, Don was nice to split the sale price with me. He's honest guy that everyone wants to deal with
Thanks Don for help me in refund 50% of the sale price.
Best regards

Post subject: Re: Thank you Don9704
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:13 pm 

Not sure I follow..... All of that damage occurred in transit?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:03 am 

Why could you not get insurance?

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:32 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

My guess is they weren't original packaging. I know I have had that happen before.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 am 

Forbes_2 wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

My guess is they weren't original packaging. I know I have had that happen before.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I never had any claim denied because original packaging was not used. In fact, have never been asked that.Having said that, it has a long time since I have had anything damaged in transit.Maybe things have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 pm 

There is nothing to stop you from getting insurance for anything shipped to the States. I do it every day. Some folks won't like the price, however. The challenge here is that is sounds like the box was dropped in such a way that the speaker enclosures were not affected but the heavy speaker drivers were. I don't know of any reasonable way to protect speakers without removing them and wrapping them in layers of bubble wrap....something most folks would not want to do.

A couple of years ago I had four race motors shipped back to my Lewiston warehouse from Seattle. These are expensive motors, being dry sumped etc....all were wrapped in plastic, bolted to frames, then built into plastic crates used in the aircraft industry. The boxes were so big we had to pay premium truck freight (reserved spot on the floor of the trailer, nothing stacked on top). And we insured the bejeezus out of them.....I got the call. Drove to the warehouse. One box had the side blown out of it, missing the lid. Parts lying on the floor. Covered in dust and crap.....Over $60,000 in parts. Nobody wanted to even talk to me about it.....I was vibrating like a tuning fork, about 6 inches off the floor. Bottom line is that I am sure the damage happened in the receiver's warehouse....no way it could have traveled across the country like that. In the end, nothing was missing, nothing was damaged....so I gathered up the bits and pieces, made a note never to use the receiver again, and moved on. I am sure the reason nothing was taken was because nothing in that shipment resembles anything used on a street car.....they did not know what they were looking at.

The moral of the story? Nobody is gonna give a hoot about your stuff; pack your stuff accordingly, insure the heck of your shipment. Be aware that the general carrier agreement basically allows UPS and Fedex to limit their liability to the cost of the shipping, nothing more. They are b^%$tards.

Your best (and safest) method of shipping is to arrange for door-to-door shipping, and stay away from the usual couriers. I have had great luck with Fedex Freight, Campbell LTL, and Fastfreight for the big/heavy items. Read the agreement before you ship anything valuable.