OFF - FOR SALE: Customized Thorens TD-165 "Canadian" Theme Turntable
Item #649449110Info: Customized Thorens TD-165 "Canadian" Theme Turntable
|Days in System:||44|
Sponsored post - log in to remove this ad.
** This Ad is Marked as OFF by seller and cannot be responded to. **
Item as shown in the images and video link. Better act fast as my turntables tend to go pretty quickly.
This item is cross posted.
Here is what I have done to her thus far:
- Installed a brand new genuine Thorens belt.
- Cleaned and lubricated the famous high tolerance bearing with fresh oil (if you are an oil fanatic I would be happy to discuss what I used and why I use what I chose - not a big snake-oil fan so what I use is practical and very effective)
- will be adding a very handy Queue Up lever (on order) for those who are forgetful and leave their record player running (prevents wearing out your stylus prematurely). Turns the table into a pseudo semi-automatic with no affect on the sound.
- Re-finished the gnarled top plate myself with a stylized hydro-dipped Canadian flag motif and then clear coated for long term protection - Yes, I realize the table is German but I did it to quasi-match some Quad gear I had modified and upgraded for my man-cave: see ad video. Besides the Canadian flag theme pops in comparison to the German flag IMHO - besides I am a Patriot)
- Completely tuned up the suspension to get that famous Thorens suspension table "pistonic bounce". See my Youtube channel on how that was done.
- replaced the tired flimsy old bottom board with a dense 1/2" thick mdf board cut to measure and painted black to tighten up the plinth like it should have been done in the first place.
- added a fancy chromed stabilizer weight to keep the platter spinning true (note that it is currently tuned with the weight. If you prefer not to use a stabilizer weight (a lot do) it can be easily tuned without the weight depending on the buyers preference
- Custom 3D original Thorens logo on the front that I modeled and made myself with a 3D printer to give it that "Wow" factor.
- Custom red 45 adapter (again modeled and made myself) to go with the motif made to the same specs as the original blah tan coloured one (if you prefer the original tan one we can swap the adapters out for you - coloured one pops though!).
- will be fitted with Custom 33, 45, 0 speed labels and tonearm raised and lowered labels for the top plate (not shown - will post pics when they are finished).
- Custom non-pivoting removable dust cover with discreet Thorens Label on top (note that with this dust cover you no longer have an acoustic sail hanging over your turntable to collect all the vibrations in the room air and translate them down to your turntable. Ever wonder why uber high-end turntables rarely have dust covers affixed to them directly?
- Skookum turntable isolation feet in black metal that just breathes class and utility
- Grado GT Tan cart/stylus in great shape just to get you started (high res digital microscope images available upon request). I fully expect that anyone buying a table of this caliber would replace with a cart of their preference or means. As preferences are hugely wide and varying I will not get sucked into the what cart is the better or best game. To me, a good audio geek like me will have multiple carts and styli for the various flavours of musical styles etc...
- To that end, besides an original Thorens Headshell included with the above, I will be including a second custom headshell of my own design to enable the use of a second cart - Ortofon installed to show that it functions perfectly. See this video on how it was made: https://youtu.be/qg6DBWGWaEU (a new 2M red is also an option for an added cost)
- Your choice of original black knobs (my preference for this table) or custom silver control knobs (shown in photo and video) - one or the other colour, not both SVP
- custom red top plate screw covers
- Metal Polished the platter edge (still a little more elbow grease to be applied to get it to really pop!
- Added a custon PhatMatz flag platter mat for high cool factor!
- Probably lots of other things I haven't quite remembered. Will add more info if I think of anything else.
Tonearm and Platter Bearings are all true and motor runs smooth and quiet. This is a great sounding table and will go toe to toe with anything within or beyond this price bracket IMHO.
Description Video: https://youtu.be/ZcTgCSfFB24
Here is the sound check video:
Very interesting trades may be considered.
Prefer to focus on local sale for now and for obvious reasons. May consider shipping but it is fully the buyers financial burden and risk due to the delicate nature of this instrument even despite the anal care that I take in wrapping and packaging. All it takes is one clumsy or indifferent postal worker is all I am saying...
Besides I would rather walk the buyer through the setup process step by step and do sound checks in person so that the buyer is fully satisfied with what they are getting. A house call depending on where is not out of the question.
Canuck Audio Mart is FREE!