Would greatly prefer local pickup with a demo provided for the buyer .... or freight on a small pallet. It's just such a nice thing I hate the idea of it suffering injury with normal shipping.
Price just lowered so I'm not really looking for offers but might knock a couple hundred off for a local sale where I could avoid shipping.
About the amp ....
Had a chance to buy a pair of these to use as monoblocks a number of years back when I was specifically looking for monos and didn't pull the trigger. The deal was great but Luxman was really just getting back in to the US high end market and I didn't know enough about them at the time. I've been kicking myself ever since so when one showed up recently I couldn't control myself and bought it.
However, it's honestly just too nice an amp for where I'm using it. A pretty nice system ... but one that's mainly for movies and, lately, one that doesn't get a lot of use because my focus has been on work and other hobbies of late. Had a chance to get a pair of Classe CAM-350s which I'd always wanted to try and, while they aren't in the same league as the Luxman, are great bang for the buck and nice enough that I could get my head around letting the Luxman go.
This is a US 115 v unit, not a conversion. Going to just bullet out some cosmetic and performance notes so please reach out if you have questions or want to discuss. Happy to give someone a call if you give me a good time and number.
Cosmetics In normal use and from most angles (even when close) the unit looks more like 9/10 but the 7/10 rating is accurate because it has a very fine scratch on the face that only shows if you're around eye level or below and it catches the light. I spent a whole day with it when setting it up and didn't know it was there until I looked at the pictures I took while unboxing and, even in those, you could only see it in 2 of the 15-20 I took of the front of the unit. So nearly invisible when in use but it's there. I attached two pictures showing the same spot. One close at an angle when visible and another when not.
One pin prick area on the bottom edge of the face as well.
Build quality is good as anything I have ever seen (on anything).
Functional - M-800A In General If you've read the reviews you already know how comically underrated the power is on this amp but in case you haven't:
1. The 60x60 into 8 ohms is the Class A power rating taking at nearly non-existent distortion. This doubles all the way down to a maximum of 480 into 1 ohm (Luxman spec)
2. Actual power, according to Stereophile, is 160x160 into 8 ohms, 280x280 into 4 with a maximum of 480 into 2.
3. This is the only series of amp Luxman released with the "Pure Class A" designation. It's 60 Class A watts is five times the 12 offered by the M-900u that replaced it and actually double the 30 offered by the massive B-1000F monos.
Functional - My Observations
1. Even knowing it's much more powerful than the Luxman specs I'm still shocked by how muscular this is driving my version 1 Revel Salons. At my peak insanity I had a pair of Marantz MA-9S2 and pair of Krell FPB-650M bi-amping the Salons and at listening levels considerably above what I find comfortable the Luxman doesn't seem to even be working hard. My Salons aren't that efficient so I'm sure I could find the limits if I really wanted to but with an efficient set of speakers I don't think you ever could.
2. Even when used with the 8802a which is not in the same league as my previous pre-pro it's obvious this is the best amp I've ever had. And, if you read the reviews, you'll see I'm not alone in this opinion. It was called ... by many ... a "bargain" at it's original MSRP of $18,000.
3. It is very Class A. Meaning it will definitely heat up the room and is another reason it's not too practical for my use. My big Denon multi channel amps generate a good amount of heat as well and with three of those and the Luxman on this past cold weekend they kept the normally chilly basement nice and toasty. Not sure my HVAC system will handle it during warm weather. It doesn't get crazy hot like the Krells I've owned but all of those had their sustained plateau bias feature so they at least stayed pretty cool when at low or no watts.
Shipping Local pickup with an audition would be great and preferred. The unit is still in my system (packaged pictures taking when un-boxing the unit). I will ship but only via freight on a pallet using a local company that is great. This technically could be shipped via FedEx Ground but it's just too far on the wrong side of heavy to take the chance with something this nice.
Payment Paypal is fine with the 3% added for fees or via friends and family. Cash with local pickup as well. No form of checks please .... personal or otherwise.
This ad was originally posted on US Audio Mart and the seller ships to the United States.
Box, Packing, Manual and the JPA-1500 Power Cord that comes with it. All in good to great shape.
Re: Luxman M-800A - Pure Class A Stereo Amplifier - 115 Volt US Version
Sorry! This ad does not allow guest replies. Please log in, or register to reply to this ad.
Calculate Estimated Shipping Cost
This feature is only available for logged in members. Please login or register here.