* * * I've been collecting vintage stereos for a long time, so trades will be considered * * *
AUDIOPHILE MAGNEPLANAR SPEAKERS Like Magnepan or Sawafuji, dipolar design
If transparency and naturalness are what you are after, read on. According to Victor Co. these offer sound quality similar in naturalness to Tannoy dual concentric speakers.
Here's a rare opportunity to own classic speakers of a kind that sell for over $2000 new.
ORIGINAL CONDITION, NO REPAIRS, MO MODS Sound impressive, as they should
Online search gave this:
"These speakers produce sounds from both sides. Each speaker contain 13 drivers. One is a planar tweeter with a flat etched voice coil and the other 12 drivers appear identical, except they are arranged in a 4x mid and a 8x low frequency setup. Each driver is truly fascinating, contain 10 magnets and a continuous looping voice coil and clear mica like diaphragm. The drivers are 4 ohm and are arranged in a series parallel setup. The whole cabinet is very solid but only and inch or two deep with 4 drivers attached to 3 individual plates. The entire design is bipolar with nearly as much sound coming out of the back as the front. The grills have steel rods to protect the fragile diaphragms and the rear grill removes on Velcro. The entire cabinet is screwed together with extensive mitering and facing. How do they sound? Well, interesting to say the least. No bass to speak of, but an absolutely unbelievable mid and treble that just floats. You can truly walk around them and the sound doesn't change - in fact all over my 60 ft room they sound the same - very interesting... They must have cost a fortune due to the 24 + 2 drivers and each having these amazing 10 magnet floating diaphragm."
* Japan, 1983 * 4 Ohms * Sensitivity: 87 dB/wM * Max RMS continuous rating: 40 Watts * Peak power handling: 80 watts * Normal listening level: 1 Watt output * 5 Watts output is LOUD * 56 - 23,000 Hz * Tweeter: Single planar with flat etched voice coil * Midrange: 4 panels wired together * Low frequency: 8 panels wired together * 35"H x 22.75"W x 2.25"D * Depth of base 5.5" * 34 LBS EACH
* Despite their (grossly) misleading 40 Watts rating they LOVE power; best results achieved with an amp rated at least 100 WPC RMS (8 Ohms); The higher the better, as they are 4 Ohms. I played them with 580 Watts/ch/4 Ohm JBL Pro amp. The minimum recommended amp rated power is 20 Watts/side.
* By design, there's no bass below 56 Hertz, a sub is a must if you love deep lows, rock/metal music. That said, they are almost flat down to 60 Hertz, midrange is 90% of music, and these speakers translate midrange perfectly well. Treble is excellent, clear, natural and extended. The upper/mid-bass is incredibly fast and life-like. The music is focused, detailed and expansive at the same time. In my experience FS-100 are truly great with jazz, vocal, classic and instrumental music, even with pop music, without added subwoofer.
* The grilles are designed not to be removable, for protection reasons. Yes, you can remove them using prying force, but things need to be broken for that, making re-attachment difficult.
* There's a 8-second intelligent circuit breaker that protects in case of overload.
These JVC Planar Speakers are offered for sale to local Ottawa area buyers. I will test for the buyer for as long as the buyer wishes. Can also be shipped at buyer's risk and expense, packed with styrofoam/PP foam and insured, via Canada Post or Purolator. not cheap due to size; these require special packaging; bases will be unscrewed/removed/packed separately. In Canada, I only take cash or Interac e-transfer. From the States, USPS money order or money wire are also possible. These are used electronics, so once sold, no warranty, no returns. For local buyer, exchanges are possible for something else I have listed, if still in the same condition.
SERIOUS BUYER ONLY - SEND PHONE# WHEN READY TO BUY See my other ads - Thank you!
Re: RARE JVC FS-100 PLANAR Like Magnepan Panel Speakers Special Sound
Sorry! This ad does not allow guest replies. Please log in, or register to reply to this ad.