SOLD - FOR SALE: Thorens Highly Modified TD-165 Turntable
Item #649379945Info: Thorens Highly Modified TD-165 Turntable
|Days in System:||43|
Sponsored post - log in to remove this ad.
** This Ad is Marked as SOLD by seller and cannot be responded to. **
Item is currently boxed up for a shipment that unfortunately did not take place - may unbox sometime soon for local auditions and to take some images with a high end similarly one-of-a-kind pre-amp I did up to match as per (look for details on this one someday soon):
here is the spiel:
A vintage Thorens turntable generally needs no introduction but when you take this sibling TD-165 to the venerable TD-160 and make it as good or arguably better than its brother - well nuff said!
Sound-wise the two are equals according to the Guru of Thorens in North America (Dave at Vinyl Nirvana) where any differences have been negated in this version. See his comparison clip here:
This guaranteed one of a kind head-turner will surely compliment any retro (aka vintage) or modern styled system alike and do it with complete grace and finesse. Not only does this engineering marvel look good IMHO but it sounds even better without question. A few things that came in from Europe and elsewhere to complete this item: a new genuine Thakker belt (I use no others), Metal Thorens logo for top plate, some skookum matching black metal spike feet (yes, adjustable)) and a beautifully chromed (New Old Stock) control levers found on the TD-160 to better contrast the controls and make it pop. I have also replaced the flimsy and acoustically poor original bottom board with a thicker MDF board which is a well-known acoustic treatment and tweak for these tables. The new bottom board retains all the lock-down holes found on the original bottom board. Also installed is a pair of replacement low capacitance and properly shielded RCA cables along with the Thorens recommended grounding mod just to make it better.
- Very cool and highly functional esoteric dust cover with a well appointed Thorens logo on top
- Shure M97XE Audiophile Cartridge (PM or email me to see microscope imagery taken just before it was packed up)
- Extremely rare TP60 original headshell that sell for over $125 alone on used and auction sites
- OEM Thorens TP-11 tonearm which is acoustically no different from the TP-16. The only difference is it uses a hanging weight for anti-skating which many say is better than magnetic
- Black metal record weight with leveling bubble
- An amazing Q-Up lever to auto lift the tonearm after a side has played and will ultimately save wear and tear on your precious stylus if you fall asleep at the wheel. The Q-up in no way affects playback as there is no linkage to the tonearm like most semi-auto turntables.
- Original simulated wood grain plinth with bottom board as a spare, if you ever want to go back to original styling or even try a new look... and
- 3D official Thorens logo on the front face...
- lastly, it is a hopped TD-165 with a 10mm bearing vs the lesser 7mm ones that some older TD-165 tables have. It does have the resin inner platter which many audiophiles prefer over the TD-160 which is know to ring more. Springs have been tuned with videos of the complete build available for your viewing pleasure. This is a quality table!
Older video before additions seen in photos and discussed above at: https://youtu.be/qzOa4RJJXug
Here is the setup video I had done to aid the original buyer who did not follow up: https://youtu.be/TZePbAWiMyI
Price is firm, Auditions by appointment only.
See my matching ad at: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649389324-quad-44-special/
Canuck Audio Mart is FREE!