FOR SALE: Rare, Vintage (1950's) RCA 'DuoCone' Wide Range Speakers in Custom Cabinets
Item #649372582Info: Rare, Vintage (1950's) RCA 'DuoCone' Wide Range Speakers in Custom Cabinets
||Money Order, Interac/EMT
||68.04 (kg) Calculate Shipping
||45.72cm x 68.58cm x 76.20cm
Aug 12, 17 7:18am (PST)
Edited: Sep 18, 17 2:00pm
[other classified ads]
|Days in System:||66|
Sponsored post - log in to remove this ad.
Internationally acclaimed speaker designer, Bill Wood, designed the enclosures specifically for these amazing LC-1A 'DuoCone' speakers. He is a personal friend, and whenever he came to our place for dinner, he would practically drool over the sound of these. In his more than 30 years devoted to speaker design, he would often say that he has never heard a better speaker, EVER!
I hate to part with them, but I have downsized my house, and no longer have room for these wonderful speakers.
- speaker with woofer 'nubs' is complete with cover & nameplate that shows "LC-1A" and "Model MI-11411-A"
- speaker without 'nubs' has no rear cover, and the crossover capacitors are visible; has a replacement tweeter
- Advent Model 300 stereo receiver (low power - 15W/chnl) was used to drive these very efficient speakers (not a good idea to use a higher powered amp)
- the custom enclosures are high density MDF, with a oak veneer, dark brown melamine top, and dark brown grill cloth; in excellent condition
From the referenced article (click on link):
"The RCA LC-1A Loudspeaker series was designed by Harry Olson in the late 1940s, initially as the MI-11411, though the term is often used to refer to both the speaker and its cabinet. With a wide frequency range the wide-angle, low distortion loudspeaker was ideal for high-fidelity sound reproduction. Olson's duo-cone design consisted of two coaxial direct-radiator cones individually driven. It featured a paper cone tweeter inside the voice coil of the paper cone woofer which avoided phase and lobing problems associated with other coaxial/concentric drivers. The design of the speaker itself went through different variations though the cabinet's look was fairly consistent."
1) The dimensions provided are for one cabinet.
2) The speakers weigh 18 lb each. I had no way to weigh the cabinets, but two people carried them easily; it felt like 50-60 lb. each; weight listed is an estimate of the total for the 4 pieces.
3) I can do PayPal, I just didn't want to enable a 'Buy It Now' until I communicate with a potential buyer.
Canuck Audio Mart is FREE!